News & Events
ALU Graduates continue to #dohardthings
As you may know, ALU recently graduated the inaugural 2019 class from its Mauritius campus. It was a joyous occasion, honoring the students, families and hard work that brought us all to this point. Today, we’re excited to share with you some of the outcomes we’re seeing from the graduates.
For all graduates, we set an internal goal of an ambitious 100% of our graduates placed into productive opportunities (employment, entrepreneurship, or further study) within six months of graduation.
We’re on track! Based on the first two months of data, we have already placed 80% of the graduating class, and the remaining 20% are in active processes with various employers.
Congratulations Class of 2019!
All of our students skipped next steps and are leaping into their future. These new beginnings are so exciting. One of our graduates (from Zimbabwe) even notified us of selection as a finalist for the Rhodes Scholarship!
Of the graduates opting to attend graduate school, some of our more prestigious (reported) graduate school admissions are as follows:
- Cambridge University
- London School of Economics,
- University of Edinburgh (generously funded by the MasterCard Foundation).
For those students opting to move directly into the workforce, over 95% of the placements so far are in Africa, with full-time positions at leading global firms operating in Africa like KPMG (Kenya), Bain (Nigeria), Dalberg (Ethiopia), Pernod Ricard (SA), Cellulant (Kenya), PWC (Ghana), Enko Education (Morocco), WAVE (a Vocational Education provider in Nigeria) and many others.
Employment outside of Africa is at about 5%. Placements occurred in the UK (at Facebook, Goldman Sachs, Bank of America Merrill Lynch), Vietnam (with Sanofi–the French Pharmaceutical giant); France (Atos), in Estonia (one of our graduates has founded a company there focused on student finance), and Lebanon (computer science graduate).
ALU is producing globally-competitive talent.
While our goal remains to develop leaders who will stay on the continent, a small fraction of prestigious global placements is important because it indicates that we are producing globally-competitive talent (and at a fraction of the cost of world-class universities).
All of our graduated completed at least three internships each, and 85% of employers rated these students as 4.5 or higher out of 5. One employer had this to say about a student who interned with him named Ashraf. “Ashraf has shown qualities that you would want to see in every employee, from junior to senior. His maturity level exceeds the managerial positions we have. He will be a great asset to any team you send him to. He sets the bar high and always manages to exceed it. His versatility is remarkable. He always asks for feedback. He never sits idle. He is very humble and never hesitates to take on tasks that are below his capabilities or job description. If every one of your students is like this one, then I completely believe in the university’s vision and mission. I completely believe that the university is truly graduating the best leaders the continent is about to have.”
These early results galvanize everyone at ALU: the staff, facilitators, and students to #doinghardthings. Our students are, for the first time, out in the world solving real-life problems and negotiating everything from team dynamics to the world’s most pressing problems, and they’re winning.
We are all immensely proud of the young leaders coming out of this institution. They are proving to the world that global excellence can indeed come from Africa.