The Academic Senate is the ultimate academic authority of the institution with powers delegated by the ALU President. The Academic Senate has oversight of (i) the academic mission and strategy, and (ii) the standards, planning, and delivery of the educational provision of the institution.
The detailed mandate and responsibilities are included in the Terms of Reference.
The following composition is in effect for the 2020-2021 academic year:
Audrey Bracey Deegan
Head of College
Director of Quality Assurance
Quality Assurance Associate
Director of Student Life
Leadership Core Lead
BEL Programme Manager
Faculty Electrical Power Systems Engineering
Faculty Business Management
Faculty Social Sciences
Through Academic Committees reporting to it, the Senate maintains oversight of academic standards and quality assurance, teaching, learning and assessment, curriculum development, as well as research and scholarship activities.
The following standing committees have been established by the Senate to operate during the 2020-2021 academic year:
- Curriculum Committee is responsible for drafting and submitting for approval the Policy and Procedure for Programme Management, ensuring the implementation of the Quality Management Framework, overseeing the processes of programme design, programme validation, programme annual and periodic review as well as any programme closure;
- Academic Integrity Committee aims to foster a culture of academic integrity at ALU by providing guidance, coordination, and leadership that results in a culture of integrity across the institution;
- Quality Assurance Committee acts as a planning forum for the discussion and promotion of developments in academic quality assurance, whether internally driven or externally indicated, and provides strategic direction to relevant staff within the institution on institutional and national quality assurance frameworks;
- Research Ethics Committee is responsible for promoting and maintaining the highest standards of rigour and integrity in all aspects of research; acts as a planning forum for the discussion and promotion of developments in research ethics, whether internally driven or externally indicated, and provides strategic direction to relevant staff within the university on institutional and national research frameworks;
- Disciplinary Committee is responsible, on behalf of the Academic Senate, to address all matters pertaining to student disciplinary issues at ALU.